Physical security is one aspect of security that can often be overlooked in favor of other complex threats like data and cyber security. While things like a Wave Alarm can help you in matters of emergency, many people are still not taking physical security seriously enough. The importance of things such as security cameras and alarm systems are not as prioritised now as they used to be. Physical and environmental security is often relegated to the realm of secondary concerns; however, this domain is essential to any comprehensive security plan, and is dangerous to overlook, especially as there are new features of physical security that are developing, such as gun detection cameras.
Physical thefts, environmental breaches and insider threat are often the result of a lack of surveillance or inadequate intruder detection. While these breaches often involve a breach of systems as well, they are enabled by physical security lapses.
The bottom line: You have to pay attention to logical security threats, but overlooking physical security will put your company at risk. It may be worth installing a home camera system for your company if you are worried about security.
Did You Know?
Physical Security Is Vital to Every Industry
- Education: In schools across the country physical security has become essential. Video surveillance increases security in schools, preventing trespassing, theft, and break-ins. Through video surveillance schools are also able to monitor students, staff, parents, and visitors entering and exiting the building.
- Healthcare: For hospitals and other healthcare facilities physical security has become necessary to increase security and mitigate liability. Video surveillance provides earlier situational awareness to help officials plan a response to any incident, especially in prevention of crime and monitoring visitor and patient movements.
- In the last year, healthcare facility violent crime rate went up 25% while the rate of disorderly conduct increased 40%.
- Retail: In a retail environment physical security solutions like video surveillance can help identify and deter assailants and reduce shoplifting. On the corporate level surveillance reduces criminal threats, discourages insider threats, protects liability, and can even lower insurance costs.
- Financial: Security is an integral part of every aspect of finance and banking, and mitigates many of the risks in the industry. Comprehensive solutions incorporating video surveillance prevent break-ins and robberies as well as internal fraud.
- Government: Government security surveillance ensures public safety, minimizes security threats, deters criminal activity, and reduces liability for government entities. Cameras establish a secure environment at government buildings and facilities and can be used to provide temporary security at special events as well.
Synetra understands that the threat of a physical security breach is a modern business reality for every industry.
Are you protected?
Consider physical security an investment in your organization’s future—schedule your security assessment with Synetra today.